Night Film

Night Film - Marisha Pessl

Everybody has a Cordova story. Cult horror director Stanislas Cordova hasn't been seen in public since 1977. To his fans he is an engima. To journalist Scott McGrath he is the enemy. To Ashley he was a father.

On a damp October night the body of young, beautiful Ashley Cordova is found in an abandoned warehouse in lower Manhattan. Her suicide appears to be the latest tragedy to hit a severely cursed dynasty.

For McGrath, another death connected to the legendary director seems more than a coincidence. Driven by revenge, curiosity and a need for the truth, he finds himself pulled into a hypnotic, disorientating world, where almost everyone seems afraid.
The last time McGrath got close to exposing Cordova, he lost his marriage and his career. This time he could lost his grip on reality.

ONCE WE FACE OUR DEEPEST FEARS, WHAT LIES ON THE OTHER SIDE?

I read Marisha Pessl's Special Topics in Calamity Physics years ago, and although I admired the uniqueness of that particular novel...it was not one that I truly enjoyed. Night Film however...just very well may be the best psychological horror novel I've read to date.

Have you ever read a book that completely took over your life? As in, all your free waking thoughts, and all your sleeping thoughts are dedicated to trying to unravel the intricate mystery that you are reading. Night Film was that book for me...and even weeks later, I am still trying to make sense of what I read, I am still trying to come up with answers.

This book scared me, because of how much it drew me into it's "pages" and took over so much of my thoughts. As I read, I was constantly losing my grip on reality and had to keep reminding myself that what I was reading was fiction, that the characters were not real. That Cordova was just a figment of someone else's imagination. The book felt so real to me and I just could not convince myself that this was not real.

Definitely one of my favorite reads of the year possibly of all time.