Hidden

Hidden - Catherine McKenzie

While walking home from work one evening, Jeff Manning is struck by a car and killed. Two women fall to pieces at the news: his wife, Claire, and his co-worker Tish. Reeling from her loss, Claire must comfort her grieving son as well as contend with funeral arrangements, well-meaning family members, and the arrival of Jeff’s estranged brother, who was her ex-boyfriend. Tish volunteers to attend the funeral on her company’s behalf, but only she knows the true risk of inserting herself into the wreckage of Jeff’s life.

Told through the three voices of Jeff, Tish, and Claire, Hidden explores the complexity of relationships, the repercussions of our personal choices, and the responsibilities we have to the ones we love.

This is the second book by Catherine McKenzie I've read, and although her books haven't been life changers for me...I've always come away with lots of feelings, and a sense of pure satisfaction. It's always great to end a book with those feelings.

Unlike the other book by McKenzie, this book posed a challenge. It is hard to read and enjoy books and characters that aren't agreeable. It's never easy to read something that challenges your sense of morality and finish still liking the characters, despite the decisions they make in their lives.

I found it interesting that McKenzie choose to include Jeff's point of view in this book, even though he is dead. I liked him as a character, but ended this book feeling a little confused as to why he was given a voice. I liked it but at the same time, made me feel a little confused by the ending and this decisions that he and Tish make, unless it was make the point that some decisions aren't made intentionally, that sometimes things just happen in just a span of a split second.

I'm kind of wondering if Catherine McKenzie is thinking of writing a follow up novel or novella to this, I'd be interested in it.