Don't Go by Lisa

Don't Go - Lisa Scottoline

I picked up Don't Go from Goodwill on my last trip to Binghamton. I hadn't read anything by Lisa Scottoline before but it looked promising.

From Goodreads:

In Don’t Go, she breaks new ground and delivers the story of a soldier who discovers what it means to be a man, a father, and ultimately, a hero.When Dr. Mike Scanlon is called to serve as an army doctor in Afghanistan, he’s acutely aware of the dangers he’ll face and the hardships it will cause his wife Chloe and newborn baby.  And deep inside, he doesn’t think of himself as a warrior, but a healer.

However, in an ironic turn of events, as Mike operates on a wounded soldier in a war-torn country, Chloe dies at home in the suburbs, in an apparent household accident.  Devastated, he returns home to bury her, only to discover that the life he left behind has fallen apart.  His medical practice is in jeopardy, and he is a complete stranger to the only family he has left - his precious baby girl.  Worse, he learns a shocking secret that sends him into a downward spiral.

Ultimately, Mike realizes that the most important battle of his life faces him on the home front and he’ll have to put it all on the line to save what’s dearest to him – his family.  Gripping, thrilling, and profoundly emotional, Don’t Go is Lisa Scottoline at her finest.

First impression: I walked into this book blind. While the name, Lisa Scottoline was vaguely familiar, I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. After reading this book, I'm still not exactly sure what sort of books Lisa Scottoline writes. In some ways, this was a contemporary fiction novel. In other ways, this was a thriller/mystery.

What I liked: This book was fast paced, which was good. I do tend to read a lot of literary fiction, which tends to be slow going so its nice to have a chance to read something you can easily breeze through in a few hours, if that's what you want to do. I also do not read many mysteries and while this probably would not be considered one, these was enough elements to make me think.

What I didn't like: I have a hard time reading about war. This is a relatively new thing, thanks to my hubby being a vet who served in Iraq. He doesn't talk much about his experiences there, but I've heard enough that reading about war bothers me now. I also felt that the pacing was weird, especially the last half as almost all; the action takes place in the space of less than a week. It was kind of weird, almost like watching an episode of 24.

Final thoughts: Although certain elements didn't sit well with me, I had a great time reading this novel. I admit that the first half was emotional for me which made this into a good read.