Just Like a Musical

Just Like a Musical - Milena Veen

Seventeen-year-old Ruby Fields has always lived by the rules set up by her foolishly overprotective mother. As a result, she doesn't go to school, she's never been kissed, and almost everything she knows about life is what she has learned from old movies.

But now there's this Joshua guy. He's quirky, and he's tall, and he uses "romantic" and "old-fashioned" in the same sentence.

And there's Mrs. Wheeler, an eccentric retired Hollywood costume designer and Ruby's new best friend.

When Mrs. Wheeler ends up in the hospital only a couple of days after telling Ruby her long-kept secret, Ruby decides to break her mother's rules and embark on a journey that will change her life forever.

This heartfelt coming-of-age story will appeal both to young readers and adults who still remember the pain and beauty of growing up.

I'm not sure how I feel about this novel, several weeks after bidding it farewell. I remember it being kind of a sweet, innocent type read. I also remember it feeling very awkward...a fact that finally made sense when I got to the end, and decided to read the author bio.

While this book did touch on certain subjects that were sort of controversial, nothing about it was at all edgy...which made the title fairly perfect. it was definitely a novel set up like the old fashioned musicals that, while touching on some somewhat serious subjects, was mostly fun and carefree. The only thing missing, obviously, was the music although the author did include a surprisingly edgy playlist.

I enjoyed the plot, especially the road trip aspect. The characters were okay, though I was not bowled over over any of them. I wouldn't exactly classify them as cookie cutter characters, but I can't say that any of them stood out as being particularly memorable aside from certain "quirks" that I do not want to get into in fear of indulging too much of the book.

As I said, I found parts of this book awkward reading. Not terribly so, but I definitely noticed that this book didn't read very smoothly and I found myself somewhat distracted. When I read the author bio, I discovered the (potential) reason, the author, Milena Veen, is most likely not a native English speaker. So I suppose a little extra editing could have been a good idea.

Overall though, this was a sweet, short distraction while at work. Not sure if I'd read more of Veen's novels, but I definitely think that if you enjoy a good YA romance, this would be a good choice.