The Rosie Project

The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion

I purchased the Kindle edition.

An international sensation, this hilarious, feel-good novel is narrated by an oddly charming and socially challenged genetics professor on an unusual quest: to find out if he is capable of true love.

Don Tillman, professor of genetics, has never been on a second date. He is a man who can count all his friends on the fingers of one hand, whose lifelong difficulty with social rituals has convinced him that he is simply not wired for romance. So when an acquaintance informs him that he would make a “wonderful” husband, his first reaction is shock. Yet he must concede to the statistical probability that there is someone for everyone, and he embarks upon The Wife Project. In the orderly, evidence-based manner with which he approaches all things, Don sets out to find the perfect partner. She will be punctual and logical—most definitely not a barmaid, a smoker, a drinker, or a late-arriver.

Yet Rosie Jarman is all these things. She is also beguiling, fiery, intelligent—and on a quest of her own. She is looking for her biological father, a search that a certain DNA expert might be able to help her with. Don's Wife Project takes a back burner to the Father Project and an unlikely relationship blooms, forcing the scientifically minded geneticist to confront the spontaneous whirlwind that is Rosie—and the realization that love is not always what looks good on paper.

The Rosie Project is a moving and hilarious novel for anyone who has ever tenaciously gone after life or love in the face of overwhelming challenges

First thoughts: I had heard a lot of great things about this novel, enough so that it was at the top of my ever growing list of must read books. Prior to reading this I had been lamenting the fact that it had been a very long time since I had read a five star, truly great book; I knew that The Rosie Project had the potential to be an awesome read, and I had a good feeling that I was going to enjoy it immensely...but to date, The Rosie Project was the best book I've read so far this year and my first 5 star read of the year.

What I liked: I loved everything about this book. I'm sure there was probably some flaws, and I'm sure not every single person who read this is going to fall head over heels with the love story of Don and Rosie, but I did. Don drove be absolutely bat crap insane through most of this story but I loved him. I laughed and cried my way through this novel and when I finished, all I wanted to do was turn to page one and reread it. I didn't. But you can be sure that this will definitely be a book to return to.

What I didn't like: Um, I don't give five stars to books that I didn't like even a little bit. I loved everything about this book and probably the only negative thing I can think of is that it was too short...but then again, I'm fairly certain I'd have been happy reading this book to infinity, if it meant being able to stay with Don and Rosie for the rest of my life.

Final thoughts: If this book has been on your radar, go ahead and read it. It's worth it, trust me. Even if it wasn't on your radar, or you had never heard of it before, go and read it. You'll thank me for it, especially if you like unusual quirky characters, enjoy romances that aren't your typical romances...or just love to laugh and cry, usually at the same time.