The Key by Victoria Darkins

The Key - Victoria Darkins

I bought the Kindle edition of this.

Jack and Carrie are lost souls. Jack is an eminent university lecturer in English Literature who suffers from quadriplegia after a spinal cord injury in his late teens. Having convinced himself that he was better off on his own he has closed the door on any romantic entanglements and instead directed all his energy into his work.

Carrie is trying to unchain herself from a cruel, neglectful and guilt ridden childhood. She has earned a place on a degree course of her dreams but it comes at a costly price.

Both are thrown together by Mary, a mutual friend and past social worker, who has hatched a plan to help Jack and Carrie with their predicaments. Carrie becomes Jack's live-in carer securing her with an income and unexpected benefits.

Will it be too late from them to find out that they both hold the key to unleash each other from the chains that hold them to their past? A key that will unlock their hearts.

I can't remember where I heard about this book, I think it may have actually been on here. It sounded like something I would like and so I bought this. Or maybe it was a Kindle freebie. I can't remember.

What I liked: This was short and not terrible. It was a nice book to read while traveling or otherwise a captive audience.

What I didn't like: I just was not a huge fan of this book. There wasn't anything bad about it, I just could not get invested in it. If I hadn't been reading this book while traveling, I probably would have only gotten a few pages in before deciding to move on to something different. I think the biggest problem was that there wasn't enough details about Carrie and Jack and so I just didn't care about them.