SPOILER ALERT!

Paper Towns by John Green

Paper Towns - John Green

I purchased the Kindle edition of this book.

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.

Reading Paper Towns when I did was uncanny on two levels. I read this while I was I was visiting my family in New Jersey, As I progressed to the last quarter of this book, I grew homesick when I realized that Quentin and his friends were heading to my home...well, 15 miles away or so. A place that I drive several times a month. Then, a week after returning home this book suddenly garnered the interest of local media as it touches on local lore. Not bad for a book that is now a few years old.

What I liked: I jumped on the John Green bandwagon a few years ago when The Fault in Our Stars had been newly released. It made me wish that authors like John Green, Sarah Dessen, Rainbow Rowell were writing when I was a teen as this was exactly the kind of books I wished were around. Instead, from the time I was in middle school I more or less skipped over the YA section and headed straight for adult novels. Paper Towns was no different and then I loved how John Green managed to draw in the area I now call home into the story.

What I didn't like: I don't know the chronological age of John Green's novels, but I will venture a guess that this one was one of the earlier books. While I mostly did like it, I felt as though it kind of dragged in parts and it didn't completely draw me in like his other books.

Still, it was very cool to read the story of Agloe as it's a story my Hubby enjoys telling to "outsiders" (he grew up in the Catskills and is completely fascinated with this type of stuff. I was feeling a little homesick, and missing hubby so it was the perfect time to read this particular novel.

And now I give you, Agloe...the Paper Town.