Things I Can't Forget

Things I Can't Forget - Miranda Kenneally

I believe I picked this up as a Kindle Freebie, though I can't remember where it was advertised.

Kate has always been the good girl. Too good, according to some people at school—although they have no idea the guilty secret she carries. But this summer, everything is different…

This summer she’s a counselor at Cumberland Creek summer camp, and she wants to put the past behind her. This summer Matt is back as a counselor too. He’s the first guy she ever kissed, and he’s gone from a geeky songwriter who loved The Hardy Boys to a buff lifeguard who loves to flirt--with her.

Kate used to think the world was black and white, right and wrong. Turns out, life isn’t that easy…

First thoughts: I had no expectations going into this, other than what was written in the summary blurb. I thought it sounded cute, and being a freebie, the right price.

What I liked: When I finished reading this, I read a few reviews posted on Good Reads which complained the the MC was judgmental and it seemed that there was a lot of negativity regarding this. Honestly, I agree but I thought it was what made this book a solid three star book instead of a two star...it made Kate interesting, and fluid instead of some generic teen girl in a generic YA book. I liked that she had this solid idea of what she thought was right and wrong, and I truly loved that she was able to grow in a way where she learned that although she wanted to live by her own standards, she shouldn't and couldn't expect everyone else to. And that was okay. I also really loved the setting. It reminded me a lot of the 4-H camp I attended for two summers as a kid.

What I didn't like: I think I would have liked this book if it dropped the Christian undertones, especially as technically, it wasn't a Christian novel (at least according to Good Reads). I think I would have had a little more interest if Kate held her beliefs because she felt the way she did instead of holding them because the Pastor at her Church told her that she had to believe the way she does. I think I would have been able to identify with Kate more if that hadn't been a factor.