Snow Falling On Cedars by David Guterson

Snow Falling on Cedars - David Guterson

I bought the Kindle edition of this book when it was offered at a discounted price.

In 1954 a fisherman is found dead and a local Japanese-American man is charged with his murder. In the course of his trial, it becomes clear that more is at stake than one man's guilt. For San Piedro is haunted by memories: of a past love affair between a white boy and a Japanese girl; of land desired, paid for and lost; and of what happened during World War II when its Japanese residents were sent into exile while their neighbours watched.

First Impression: When I was a senior in high school our teacher made us watch the beginning of the movie adaptation. For whatever reason, we only saw a few minutes of it, and I can't remember the context of watching it to begin with but it stuck with me enough to want to read the book.

What I liked: I guess I liked the complexity of this story. Although I don't think this could be classified as a mystery, it reads kind of like one. Up until the end, you really do not know what happened that fateful night. You kind of think you might know, but the more you read it, the more your opinion changes.

What I did not like: First and foremost, whoever was in charge of converting this into ebook format needs to be fired. There was so many errors throughout the book that if I hadn't known any better, I would have assumed that this was a self published work, and not a so called modern classic. I honestly considered contacting Amazon to refund my money as I felt the book was a very poor quality. So if you decide to read this, please read the hard edition.

I found this book to be extremely bleak. The subject is heavy and as this book primarily takes place during a major snowstorm...it probably is not recommended reading for the middle of winter. I had an extremely difficult time getting through it due to the bleakness.

To be honest, between the depressing mood it put me in, and the fact that the edition was so poorly executed, I very nearly gave up on the book. I am happy that I did see it until the end, but it definitely was a struggle.