Fall Girl - Marybeth Smith

I did not enjoy this book at all. I can’t put my finger on exactly why I disliked it so much, but I think it was the characters…and the way that Marybeth Smith portrayed Bipolar disorder. They both rankled me.

Annabelle’s parents were the worst characters in the entire book, but Annabelle’s friends came in a close second. They were just so unrealistic characters, especially Annabelle’s mom (who I have no idea how she managed to get passed childhood, she seemed that immature). Her friends were too much of a high school drama type characters that I honestly had no idea how Annabelle could even stand to be around them. And Annabelle herself was just a total pushover with no personality of her own.

Then there was the whole bipolar situation. Now, I’m not an expert or anything like that…but I do have some experience with bipolar and I felt as though Smith was off the mark in the way she portrayed Annabelle’s brother. It would have been more appropriate had this book been written several decades before, when treatment options were different and not as effective as they are today…but in today’s setting it was way over the top.

Based on the summary, I did think this book had good potential but the more I read, the more I realized it was just a bad teenage drama. I might as well spend time watching old episodes of Dawson’s Creek or something.