The Weird Sisters

The Weird Sisters - Eleanor Brown

There is no problem that a library card can't solve.

The Andreas family is one of readers. Their father, a renowned Shakespeare professor who speaks almost entirely in verse, has named his three daughters after famous Shakespearean women. When the sisters return to their childhood home, ostensibly to care for their ailing mother, but really to lick their wounds and bury their secrets, they are horrified to find the others there.

See, we love each other. We just don't happen to like each other very much.

But the sisters soon discover that everything they've been running from -- one another, their small hometown, and themselves -- might offer more than they ever expected

I was ambivalent about The Weird Sisters. I liked it, as I like almost all stories about families and siblings. I liked the characters, despite their fatal flaws. I even liked the Shakespearean quotes littered throughout, even despite the fact I don't really care for Shakespeare.

I did find some weird components however. Components that I didn't quite hate...but found odd. The most notable was the narration. Through most of the book, there was a standard third person narration going which flipped between each sister's viewpoint. But then the narration would switch to the three sisters, narrating together. It was odd, and while unique...I found it distracting. The first time or so it happened...I became confused and I sort of thought that the narrators were the Three Witches from MacBeth...the namesake of the novel.

Then there was the reading...which, as a bookworm I couldn't help but applaud. I love when fictional characters are bookworms...however, none of the books that the girls read throughout the novel are named. As a book lover, I found this extremely disappointing. It would be like turning on The Food Network to watch them make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

I liked this book, but it was not my favorite. I liked that Eleanor Brown attempted to use some unique elements in the book, although I didn't think they worked very well.