Landline

Landline: A Novel - Rainbow Rowell

Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble. That it’s been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems beside the point now.

Maybe that was always beside the point.

Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her — Neal is always a little upset with Georgie — but she doesn’t expect to him to pack up the kids and go home without her.

When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything.

That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts . . .

Is that what she’s supposed to do?

Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?

I still haven't read The Attachments, so I wasn't planning on reading Landline yet. I certainly wasn't planning on buying the hardcover version...but damn Amazon. Every single time I am sure that I am finished with his abusive shit and find a new, healthy relationship with a bookseller...Amazon comes in with some great deal that I just cannot pass up and I'm once again committed. This time it was in the form of a 75% off coupon for this book...team that up with a Amazon giftcard I had...and well, I broke down.

The premise seemed wonky and I honestly didn't have much faith in it. As much as I loved Fangirl and liked Eleanor and Park I figured that this would be one book that would turn me off of Rainbow Rowell...much like With a Little Luck detroyed my crush on Caprice Crane.

However, despite the completely ridiculous premise of a magic telephone I could not help but once again fall under the spell of Rainbow Rowell. She made me laugh and  cry in almost equal measures and I completely forgot how ridiculous the premise was suppose to be. I couldn't help but totally believe that there could be such thing as a magic telephone that could call another decade.

I not definitely need to read The Attachments and keep my fingers crossed for another Rowell book soon!