I'd Know You Anywhere

I'd Know You Anywhere: A Novel - Laura Lippman

Eliza Benedict cherishes her peaceful, ordinary suburban life with her successful husband and children, thirteen-year-old Iso and eight-year-old Albie. But her tranquillity is shattered when she receives a letter from the last person she ever expects—or wants—to hear from: Walter Bowman. There was your photo, in a magazine. Of course, you are older now. Still, I'd know you anywhere.

In the summer of 1985, when she was fifteen, Eliza was kidnapped by Walter and held hostage for almost six weeks. He had killed at least one girl and Eliza always suspected he had other victims as well. Now on death row in Virginia for the rape and murder of his final victim, Walter seems to be making a heartfelt act of contrition as his execution nears. Though Eliza wants nothing to do with him, she's never forgotten that Walter was most unpredictable when ignored. Desperate to shelter her children from this undisclosed trauma in her past, she cautiously makes contact with Walter. She's always wondered why Walter let her live, and perhaps now he'll tell her—and share the truth about his other victims.

Yet as Walter presses her for more and deeper contact, it becomes clear that he is after something greater than forgiveness. He wants Eliza to remember what really happened that long-ago summer. He wants her to save his life. And Eliza, who has worked hard for her comfortable, cocooned life, will do anything to protect it—even if it means finally facing the events of that horrifying summer and the terrible truth she's kept buried inside.

An edgy, utterly gripping tale of psychological manipulation that will leave readers racing to the final page, I'd Know You Anywhere is a virtuoso performance from acclaimed, award-winning author Laura Lippman that is sure to be her biggest hit yet.

Before I read this novel, I had a vague memory of reading a summary of this when it was first release. It had seemed like an interesting book but until I found it at Goodwill I hadn't made much of an effort to read this, or any of Laura Lippman's other novels. I thought it would just another crime thriller...you know, fun to read but not very memorable after the fact.

Thankfully I gave Laura Lippman a chance with this book and she is definitely on my radar. I absolutely loved the way she wrote the characters...I was so sure that this book would be 90% action and 10% characterization...but to much delight there was such a wonderful balance between the two elements. What was even more surprising, I found that although I did not like Walter, I couldn't help but feel sympathy with him...as despicable a character as he was.

I am so glad I read this book and can't wait to read more of Laura Lippman's work.