Sneaking Candy

Sneaking Candy - Lisa Burstein

I bought the Kindle edition of this novel.

All I ever wanted was to make a name for myself as Candice Salinas, creative writing grad student at the University of Miami. Of course, secretly I already have made a name for myself: as Candy Sloane, self-published erotic romance writer. Though thrilled that my books are selling and I have actual fans, if anyone at UM found out, I could lose my scholarship…and the respect of my faculty advisor, grade-A-asshole Professor Dylan.

Enter James Walker, super-hot local barista and—surprise!—my student. Even though I know a relationship is totally off-limits, I can’t stop myself from sneaking around with James, taking a few cues from my own erotic writing…if you catch my drift. Candy’s showing her stripes for the first time in my real life, and I’ve never had so much fun. But when the sugar high fades, can my secrets stay under wraps?

First thoughts: I discovered Lisa Burstein several years ago when I won a copy of her first novel, Pretty Amy. I enjoyed it, and enjoyed Lisa's Tweets so I've kept tabs on her writing career which spans three novels and at least one novella which I have not read.

What I liked: What I've always liked about Lisa Burstein's books is that they are extremely readable. As soon as you start reading, you instantly fall into the story and there isn't that few chapter slump when you attempt to figure out what your place of the story is.

I really liked the characters, and was very happy to find that there was actually a good solid cast of characters that I could like. The first two novels, a lot of the characters just aren't the kind of people you would want to associate with outside of the book...but in Sneaking Candy it was clearly defined who was good, and who you didn't want to trust.

It also made me interested in the erotic fiction genre. It was definitely a genre I hadn't given much thought to before, but after reading this...I had to admit I was a bit curious and have kept my eyes open for an opportunity. It sounds like a fun genre actually.

What I didn't like: There wasn't much that I didn't outright like in this book. The plotting maybe could have used some tweaking and I thought that the ending wasn't quite as satisfying but I can't  complain too much as I suspect it was left open intentionally and I wouldn't be surprised for a follow up.