The Cuckoo's Calling

The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith

I bought the Kindle edition of this book, using a gift card.

After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.

Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, thelegendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man.

You may think you know detectives, but you've never met one quite like Strike. You may think you know about the wealthy and famous, but you've never seen them under an investigation like this.

Introducing Cormoran Strike, this is the acclaimed first crime novel by J.K. Rowling, writing under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith.

First Impression: I love JK Rowling's Harry Potter series, though I was not crazy about her first adult novel, A Casual Vacancy. I am also not a huge fan of murder mystery type books. That being said, I tried going into this book with low expectations despite the good reviews this book had gotten.

What I liked: It took a bit of time to get my barings, but once I did I was hooked. This book was so rich in so many ways. It's evident that JK Rowling has hit a very good stride in writing for adults. She was able to marry the intricate and exciting plots that made up the Harry Potter series and the strong, vibrant characters from The Casual Vacancy. Throughout the book I felt as though I was watching a movie instead of reading a book. It was a very visual book, and I really do hope they make a movie version.

What I didn't like: Truly, there was not much I did not like about The Cuckoo's Calling. It did take a bit of time to keep the characters straight at first...but once I got a decent reading stride this wasn't a problem at all.

I don't read many series like this, but this will definitely be one I follow. I'm excited that the second book in the series was announced this past week...and that it will be released on my birthday! What a terrific birthday present! *shameless plug*

Now, can someone please get onto the movie version. Please!