The Chosen

The Chosen - Chaim Potok

I picked this book up at a library book fair.

It is the now-classic story of two fathers and two sons and the pressures on all of them to pursue the religion they share in the way that is best suited to each. And as the boys grow into young men, they discover in the other a lost spiritual brother, and a link to an unexplored world that neither had ever considered before. In effect, they exchange places, and find the peace that neither will ever retreat from again...

First thoughts: I didn't know much about this book other than it often shows up on lists of books to read.

What I liked: I like the complicated friendship that the two boys had as well as both their relationships with their fathers.

What I didn't like: I'm not sure if I can say that I didn't like aspects of this book, or rather, just did not understand a good deal of it. I am not Jewish, nor do I know much about the religion aside from a tiny bit of research back in 6th grade for a social studies report and one semester of a Jewish Mysticism class in college. I think because of this lack of knowledge made what could have been a very good story...just really boring.

A nice coming of age story, but unfortunately it gets bogged down by a lot of information that went over my head.