Eleanor and Park

Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell

I purchased the Kindle edition of the book as I was bowled over by Fangirl,

TWO MISFITS. ONE EXTRAORDINARY LOVE.
It's 1986 and two star-crossed teens are smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you'll remember your own first love--and just how hard it pulled you under.

A cross between the iconic '80s movie Sixteen Candles and the classic coming-of-age novel Looking for Alaska, Eleanor & Park is a brilliantly written young adult novel.

First Impression: Not too long ago I read my first Rainbow Rowell book, Fangirl. It was a near perfect for me and I knew that Rowell was an author that I just had to read more of. So when I came across Eleanor and Park I could not snatch it up fast enough and then as soon as I got an opportunity to read it...you can be sure I made it my mission to rush through it as fast as possible.

What I liked: It was a great YA story. I am so bowled over by how great YA is, compared to the YA that I was exposed to when I was a young teen in the mid to late 90's. I almost never read it back then, as it seemed like so many YA books just did not get it. Perhaps I was reading the wrong stuff (entirely possible) but aside from a few books that I have sense forgotten...I would have rather read books aimed at adults.

I loved the connection that Eleanor and Park had. It was the very romance I fantasized having when I was in high school...most notably with the wild colored bass player on my bus...who thinking back now, had absolutely no personality. At least around me.

I loved the music. Like I posted early in the book, I really wanted to get into the habit of making playlists for deserving books. This one will be one of them, which will be my project for next weekend I think.

What I didn't like: This is where I admit that while I liked this book, I did not love it. At first it did seem like one of those books that I would gush about for at least a week (thank god I have a very patient and ADD hubby),,,but there was definitely some magic missing. By the end, I was sort of struggling to keep my attention.

I am still excited to read her other books (I think there's two more) but I'll remember to adjust my expectations. Fangirl will probably remain my favorite Rainbow Rowell book.