The Art of Mending by Elizabeth Berg

The Art of Mending - Elizabeth Berg

I picked up this title a few months ago at the town rummage sale along with a crap ton of other books. When I picked it up, I had a momentary brain fart and thought Elizabeth Berg was the author of Olive Kitteridge, so I was slightly disappointed when I got the book home, checked my bookshelves and realized I had made an error.

It begins with the sudden revelation of astonishing secrets—secrets that have shaped the personalities and fates of three siblings, and now threaten to tear them apart. In renowned author Elizabeth Berg’s moving new novel, unearthed truths force one seemingly ordinary family to reexamine their disparate lives and to ask themselves: Is it too late to mend the hurts of the past?

Laura Bartone anticipates her annual family reunion in Minnesota with a mixture of excitement and wariness. Yet this year’s gathering will prove to be much more trying than either she or her siblings imagined. As soon as she arrives, Laura realizes that something is not right with her sister. Forever wrapped up in events of long ago, Caroline is the family’s restless black sheep. When Caroline confronts Laura and their brother, Steve, with devastating allegations about their mother, the three have a difficult time reconciling their varying experiences in the same house. But a sudden misfortune will lead them all to face the past, their own culpability, and their common need for love and forgiveness.

Despite my initial disappointment of my Elizabeth mix up, this turned out to be a very good read after all. Perhaps even on the same caliber as Olive Kitteridge. The writing style was quite beautiful and between the prose and the intriguing beginning I quickly made my way through this in the space of 24 hours (while reading another book).

I don't think I can pinpoint what exactly what I liked about this book. Truthfully, I loved all the elements that made up this book, the prose, the storyline, the characters...it all worked. The pacing stood out above the rest. While this book was not technically a mystery...in a way it read like one and Elizabeth Berg seemed to be in complete control of unraveling details for the sheer purpose of keeping the reader reeling deeper and deeper into the story.

While I can't honestly say this was a perfect book, I really cannot find any real faults in it. Perhaps some parts of the book dragged just slightly...but as the book was on the short side it didn't lag for long before things picked up again.