What?!!

Shutter Island - Dennis Lehane

I just finished Shutter Island a few minutes ago and my final reaction was, and I quote, "What the eff just happened?".

I am confused. I'm pretty sure that the last time I have ever been so confused by a story was when I saw Inception the first time. I just could not figure out what was real and what was not. I guess that is the beauty of having an unreliable narrator. You just can't be sure whether you can trust the narrator at face value or if you are just being given a bunch of lip service.

So aside from the total confusing ending, I did enjoy this. It was my second read by Dennis Lehane and I would definitely read more of his books. I was impressed by how intricate his stories are. Even if you know how the story is going to end, such as when I read Mystic River...there is something incredible about how Dennis Lehane drags you into a story...taking care that all the aspects of the book are on top.

Now excuse me when I convince my husband to read the book so maybe his much sharper mind can explain the ending to me.