The Descendants - Kaui Hart Hemmings

I never considered reading The Decendents. I had seen the movie and while I enjoyed it...I didn't love it enough to bother with the book. Way too many other books I wanted to read.  But I am a sucker for a good Kindle Daily Deal, so I ended up reading The Decendents after all.

I liked this book a lot. It was actually very similar to the movie, which made me happy. It's not often that you get to read a novel and see the movie adaption and they are close to identical (I think the only book/movie that comes to mind is Mystic River). There were a few characters that I didn't remember from the movie (then again, it's been close to two years since I saw the movie) and a few changed scenes but I applaud whoever wrote the screenplay for their integrity of keeping the story intact.

This novel was a tear jerker. Even after seeing the movie, and knowing what was going to happen I could not help but tear up quite a few times. I think the only thing that saved me from totally bawling at the end was the fact I was sitting in a parking lot waiting for a friend to come out of a job fair.

The plot was very well done, though, I wasn't completely sold on the secondary plot. It worked but I'm not sure it was completely fleshed out at the end. The characters weren't always likable, but they were extremely real. Maybe it was because of the movie but it was very easy to see the characters and the story being played out.