Escape Theory - Margaux Froley

From Goodreads: Sixteen-year-old Devon Mackintosh has always felt like an outsider at Keaton, the prestigious California boarding school perched above the Pacific. As long as she’s not fitting in, Devon figures she might as well pad her application to Stanford’s psych program. So junior year, she decides to become a peer counselor, a de facto therapist for students in crisis. At first, it seems like it will be an easy fly-on-the-wall gig, but her expectations are turned upside down when Jason Hutchins (a.k.a. “Hutch”), one of the Keaton’s most popular students, commits suicide.

Devon dives into her new role providing support for Hutch’s friends, but she’s haunted by her own attachment to him. The two shared an extraordinary night during their first week freshman year; it was the only time at Keaton when she felt like someone else really understood her.  As the secrets and confessions pile up in her sessions, Devon comes to a startling conclusion: Hutch couldn't have taken his own life. Bound by her oath of confidentiality—and tortured by her unrequited love—Devon embarks on a solitary mission to get to the bottom of Hutch's death, and the stakes are higher than she ever could have imagined.

Escape Theory was an adequate book. It was decently written and for the most part the characters were believably, if not terribly well developed. The plot/mystery held together decently and for a mystery, held just enough red herrings to keep the reader guessing.

So overall, it is decent read for someone in the YA mindset.

For an adult with an over analytic mind however...this was a read that kind of bothered me. Just too many actions of characters in the book that had me go "really?"

I thought the faculty of Keaton was completely unbelievable. They seemed completely unaware of any illegal activity that was going on in their school, right under their noses...this was a small school. The faculty supposedly lived on campus with the students...yet, not one of them seems to have any kind of clue. Then, when a student is caught red handed with the drugs (the protagonist) the situation is kind of just swept under the rug and no disciplinary actions are taken. Most schools will suspend...if not expell a student with so much as an Advil for cramps so that's not really going to fly.

Then, the teacher in charge of the counseling sessions gets it in his head to start recording the sessions. Without any kind of permission. Yeah, that's not going to fly.

And I won't even touch on Devon's best friend Presley who was just too horrible for words. I can't even fathom how Devon and Presley are even friends to begin with. I can kind of understand that she's in the story more or less for comedic purposes to lighten the mood but gah. No.