Americashire: A Field Guide to a Marriage - She Writes Press

Part memoir and part travelogue, Jennifer Richardson's Americashire is an interesting journey through country living, marriage and the choice to become a parent.

I came into this book with little expectations as I had never heard of either the book or the author. It sounded interesting enough and it was a free Kindle download so even if it was a complete disaster it wasn't a big deal.

It was a decent enough read, and although I do not live in England...nor have I ever been to England I couldn't help but find parallels to my adjustment to living in the Catskills country side after spending my entire life in the suburbs. So that alone kept me reading and chuckling at some of the various circumstances that Richardson and her husband found themselves in.

What I was not crazy about however, was reading about the quarrels that the couple endured. It made me feel uncomfortable reading those parts, I felt as though I was intruding on their marriage and part of me dreaded continuing on as I felt certain that the book would end with the couple deciding to go their separate ways. I wasn't invested in their marriage, and I knew that one way or another it wasn't going to have an impact on my life, or MY marriage but it was definitely a black cloud that hovered over me as I read the book and I just was not able to enjoy the book as much as I would have liked.