Firefly Lane - Kristin Hannah

This was the first book I read by Kristin Hannah and I probably would not have, had I not received an advanced copy of Fly Away, the sequel to Firefly Lane. I’m not sure why I had been so hesitant to pick up one of Hannah’s books previously, I had noticed that they started appearing on bookshelves just about everywhere, but up until now, I had been avoiding reading her. I am very glad that I finally had the opportunity (and excuse) to finally buy into the hype she has been generating.

I loved Firefly Lane. As soon as I downloaded this to my Kindle, I started reading it…intending to just read the first chapter or so. Instead I found myself obsessively reading throughout the day/night stopping only to give birth to this blog.

Firefly Lane reminds me so much of one of my favorite novels, Judy Blume’s Summer Sisters. Maybe it’s the setting, or the fact that Kate and Tully reminded me of Vix and Caitlin…but I could not help but draw out the comparisons as I read. However, as I drew further into the book I realized that Firefly Lane was so much more than Summer Sisters ever was (sorry Ms. Blume). While Summer Sisters focused so much about men and sex as the book progressed and Vix and Caitlin grew up, Firefly Lane truly stayed true to being a book about friendship. And unlike Summer Sisters, we were privy to both sides of the story, not just the one. It felt a lot more intimate to know both Tully and Kate.

My only complaint about Firefly Lane was the fact that Kate’s parents were known as Mom and Dad throughout the book. For some reason, it annoyed me. It perhaps would have been okay had the story been told in first person, but it was not. I found it to be a weird distraction. Thinking back, I can hazard a guess as to why Hannah choose to refer to them this way…but at the time it annoyed me.