Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction - David Sheff

Beautiful Boy has been on my to read list for years now, though it took until this title appeared on Kindle Daily Deals for me to actual purchase and read it.

I cannot begin to tell you how intense this book was at times. Many times I found myself wanting to put my iPhone aside until my adrenaline level returned to normal-yet being totally unable to tear myself away. I read this at the laundry mat, while on vacation, and on the subsequent drive home from said vacation (despite getting car sick while reading in the car). I may have even skipped out on some precious sleep time before shifts at work…that’s how riveting I found David Sheff’s story.

Even after I completed the book, I could not stop thinking about David and Nic. It seemed as though their lives were heading into a positive direction-but that is never a guarantee when drug addiction is involved. I was a little relieved to see, just a few short weeks later, and article penned by a still clean Nic Sheff turn up in my Instapaper queue…but I still think it’s going to be a long while before I stop thinking about the father and son I invested so much time, energy and emotion for.